Pirates of the Mediterranean
Early Modern Period
Interested in learning more? Here are few resources to help you get started:
Primary Source Analysis with Voyant
Once Voyant’s server is stable again, an interactive text analysis toolkit preloaded with the documents listed below will be available again.
Initial Questions to Ask and Answer
- Which terms appear most frequently overall? What does this tell us about piracy?
- Which terms appear most frequently in each document separately? What does this tell us about the topic(s) of each text?
- How do the frequencies of the top 5 most common terms (or terms of your choosing) change over time and from one document to the next?
- Choose words of interest and examine how their meanings change base on usage across the documents.
- Anonymous. The Lives, Apprehensions, Arraignments, and Executions, of the 19. Late Pyrates Namely: Capt. Harris. Iennings. Longcastle. Downes. Haulsey. and Their Companies. As They Were Seuerally Indited on St. Margrets Hill in Southwarke, on the 22. of December Last, and Executed the Fryday Following. London, England: Printed [by E. Allde] for Iohn Busby the elder, 1609. https://www.proquest.com/eebo/docview/2240904233/citation/32B0BB5A05D94460PQ/1 .
- D’Aranda, Emanuel. The History of Algiers and It’s Slavery with Many Remarkable Particularities of Africk. Translated by John Davies. London: John Starkey, 1666. http://name.umdl.umich.edu/A25743.0001.001. Alternative Title: Relation de la captivité du sieur Emanuel d’Aranda
- Edward Johnson, Nicholas Williams, LawrenceSenett , Nicholas Wolf, Pierce Butler, John Bryan (February 1737). Reference Number: t17370224-2
- Knight, Francis. A Relation of Seaven Yeares Salverie Vnder the Turkes of Argeire, Suffered by an English Captive Merchant … Wherunto Is Added a Second Booke Conteining a Description of Argeire … London: Printed by T. Cotes for M. Sparke, 1640. https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/008853625.
- Pananti, Filippo, and Edward Blaquière. Narrative of a Residence in Algiers: Comprising a Geographical and Historical Account of the Regency; Biographical Sketches of the Dey and His Ministers; Anecdotes of the Late War; Observations on the Relations of the Barbary States with the Christian Powers. London: H. Colburn, 1818.